Monday, June 17, 2013

Boo - ya

I trained my dog... yeahhhhhhh. His name is Chance he is a boxer-pitbull and is 4 years old. I decided if I was going to teach my dogs any tricks, I better do it now before he gets to old! So far, I have taught him sit and shake hands. My brother taught him fetch, go outside, and go to bed.
To teach my dogs sit, it took about 5 days, and to teach Chance shake... 1 day! Boo - ya! I've got a smart doggie :)
How? I'm glad you asked!
Things you will need:


  • treats. I used cut- up crackers, kibble, peanut butter covered kibble (he loves peanut butter) and cut - up dog biscuits. You can use whatever your dog enjoys to eat.
  • a dog at least 8 weeks or older ;)
  • a calm, relaxed, non-distracting area. 
  • PATIENCE... LIKE OMAGAH. 
Sit command:
  1. I got Chance in the kitchen.
  2. Waited for him to naturally sit.
  3. Said: "good boy"
  4. Gave him a treat.
  5. Held the treat in my hand and lead it to the ground to get him to stand.
  6. I told Chance "sit" in a stern voice.
  7. Pushed his butt down.
  8. Said: "good boy."
  9. Gave him a treat.
  10. Repeat.
  11. Eventually he/she will get to the point where he does not need a butt- push and will do it out of obedience.
  12. Keep doing this for several days (or until he gets it) and make sure he has mastered this before you move on.

Shake Command
  1. Got Chance in the living room.
  2. Put him in the sit position. 
  3. Said "shake."
  4. Grabbed his paw.
  5. Said "good boy."
  6. Gave him a treat.
  7. After grabbing his paw enough times, I would gently tap/pull the back of his paw so he would raise it.
  8. Praise + treat.
  9. Eventually he would ever so slightly raise his paw off the ground.
  10. I grabbed it.
  11. Praise + treat. 
  12. After some time, he would raise his arm and paw off the ground when he saw my hand and heard "shake"
And voila! 

TIPS: 
  • If your dog is more stubborn than your patience will go give him a break and try again later.
  • Don't practice for to long. He will get sick on dog treats plus if he is not being responsive, giving him/her a break will give her time to relax and calm down thus creating better results.
  • Don't be to harsh on your dog. Be stern, but don't yell. And under no circumstance... result to any physical abuse. It is proven that positive reinforcement will result in quicker obedience. 
Thanks for reading! Spread the word pleeeaaaseee! I love y'all. Byeeeee for now! 
XOXOXO
~Hershey Kisses
Jesus loves you!
Ephesians 2:4-5 "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved."


Chancyyyy :)


Sorry for the pda! ;) I love him <3 

CHANCE!!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment